Z-Axis Connector Elements
Our manufacturing process is both flexible and efficient allowing us to sample and produce custom sizes quickly. Please contact us today, we welcome your interest in our products and discussing how they can fit your application.
The Advantages of Using Z-Axis Connector Elements
The advantages of using Z-Axis Connector Elements for flex-to-board connections are particularly evident when:
- A low unit and tooling cost custom connection is required.
- Shock and vibration issues are a concern.
- Existing fine pitch mechanical connectors are too fragile.
- Connectors need to be easily replaced.
- Vertical space is at a premium.
- Horizontal space is at a premium.
- Right angle connections are needed in a small physical space.
- The cost of a mainboard with an add-on board needs to be reduced.
- Alignment of multiple high-density connectors is problematic during assembly.
- Solder bridging of high-density connections is a problem.
Z-Axis Connector Elements are squeezed between a board and a flex to achieve electrical connection. Surface-to-surface contact and a gasket-like seal is made that allows for mating differing pad metallurgies such as gold flash, carbon ink, silver ink, or indium-tin-oxide (ITO). In most applications, a retaining slot positions the element. Ribs in the slot allow for expansion during compression. Molding slots directly into the end-unit housing can achieve advantages in cost and ease of assembly. The flex and the connector can be an integral unit.